Cricket South Africa is back with an experimental 3 team cricket series called “Solidarity Cup”. After a long time, fans will be able to watch great South African players like AB de Villiers, Quinton De Cock, Kagiso Rabada playing in a historic match. The first 3TC(3 team cricket) match will commence at SuperSport Park, Centurion on 27 June 2020.
“Its been quite some time since the South African public and fans of cricket worldwide have been able to consume the game we all love. I know that the players are itching to get back to into action as well, which is why we as Cricket South Africa are so excited about the Solidarity Cup. It’s a thrilling new format and a match that is working towards a greater good. We are proud to partner with 3TeamCricket on this project.”CSA Director of Cricket, Graeme Smith, said.
What is 3TC Solidarity Cup?
3TC Solidarity Cup is a unique tournament in which three teams led by Kagiso Rabada, AB de Villiers, Quinton De Cock will compete against each other in a single match.
The match will consist of 36 overs divided into 2 halves of 18 overs each. In the very first half, each team will play 6 overs against one of their opponents. In the next half of the match, the battle resumes for another 6 overs each, but this time there will be different opponents from last one.
This is going to be exciting as there are very few players in the team. Every player has to give kickstart from the very beginning.
3TC(three-team cricket) Solidarity Cup is a great initiative to help those people from cricket association who have suffered due to COVID-19 pandemic. All the money raised will reach to Hardship Funds.
3 Teams And Players
The three teams will consist of a total of 24 marquee players i.e 8 players each side. They will be led by South African stars AB de Villiers, Quinton De Kock, Kagiso Rabada.
AB’s Eagles: AB De Villiers(C), Aiden Markaram, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne, Andile Phehlukwayo, Sisanda Magala, Junior Dala, Lungi Ngidi,
KG’s Kingfishers: Kagiso Rabada(c), Reeza Hendricks, Janneman Malan, Faf Du Plessis, Heinrich Klaasen, Chris Morris, Glenton Stuurman, Tabraiz Shamsi.
Quinny’s Kites: Quinton de Kock(c), Temba Bavuma, J J Smuts, David Miller, Dwaine Pretorius, Lutho Sipamla, Beuran Hendricks, Anrich Nortje.
3TC Game In Closed Doors
Moreover, the series will be played behind closed doors in an empty stadium. No spectators allowed to enjoy the game in the stadium. Fans can watch live matches on various sports broadcasting channels. Supersport channel will stream the game live from 27 June locally.
CSA’s chief medical officer, Dr Shuaib Manjra has said strict Covid-19 protocols will be followed for the match. He said, “First of all it will be an empty stadium, we are looking at the minimum number of people being there for the event to happen and be broadcast, which is about 200. The players will get in three days before and be kept in a sanitised ecosystem. In the stadium, everyone will wear masks and doors will keep open along with other safety measures.“
Official 3TC Solidarity Cup Game Rules
- 3 teams each 8 players will play a single match.
- The match starts over 36 overs in two halves of 18 overs with a break at halftime.
- Teams bat for one inning of 12 overs divide between two 6-over periods, facing one opponent in the first half and the other opponent in the second half.
- In the first half, teams rotate from batting to bowling to the dugout with the starting positions determined by a draw.
- Most runs win Gold, second Silver and third Bronze. If 2 teams tie with most runs, super overs decide Gold; if all 3 teams tie, all get Gold; and, in a tie for second, shares silver.
- In the second half, teams bat in order of the highest scores in the first half. If the scores tie, the first half order reversed.
- After the fall of the 7th wicket, the last batter stands alone and can only score in even numbers of runs. If the 7th wicket falls in the first half, the team forfeits the remaining balls in that half and the last batter resumes the innings in the second half.
- Each bowling team has the use of one new ball for their full 12 overs which is used for both opponents.
- A maximum of three overs per bowler allowed, which can bowl in any permutation to either opponent. An uncompleted overdue to the fall of the 7th wicket deem to be completed with dot balls.
- Match organisers can allow up to 3 additional fielders, either selected by each team or provided by the dugout opponent. In this case, fielding restrictions may be applied.
- A match can only be short by weather to 18, 24 or 30 overs in terms of a formula laid down by 3TC.
Other 3 Team Cricket Match Info
Dale Steyn will not play in the series due to back niggle while Dean Elgar was not considered.
AB de Villiers may return to the International cricket. According to him, it will only happen if he starts playing cricket again. He said, “decision about involvement with CSA over the next 12 months Not decided yet. I have had discussions with ‘Bouch’ and Graeme(Smith), in the past few months but nothing is decided yet. It is silly to have made some decisions in the middle of the lockdown”.